Friday, March 20, 2009

On My Mind: It's Officially Spring!

Dreaming of a White Easter?
What was up with the snow flurries this morning? But wait! That's a question a newbie would ask. I, on the other hand, have learned that there is always a snow storm in NYC the second or third week of March...I think there was one in April a couple years back, though I can't be sure. Just saying - snow during spring ain't no big thing.

If you're new to NYC, you think, "Spring equinox! Yay. Time to shake out the spring dresses and pack away the wool. Time for long walks in the park!" Well, hold your lambskin a few weeks. I don't know about you, but I was still wearing my winter coat yesterday...and my hat and gloves. The weather will be in the 50's and even lower in the evenings for a while.

Blink and You'll Miss It
Spring, like fall, in NYC is a fleeting, wonderful, almost imagined experience. It lasts for maybe a week, and if you're not paying attention, you'll have missed it, finding yourself on the other side of hot and humid. But if you're stopping to smell the roses, or in this case, tulips, courtesy of the Department of Parks and Recreation, you'll enjoy observing the entire city waking from its winter doldrums.

Spring Wishlist?
Another difference between NYC and LA--in LA, I didn't shop for the seasons. Here, the beginning of spring means thoughts of shopping. But who can afford it? If I had to prioritize, this is what I'm eyeing this spring:
  • The perfect raincoat. Last spring/summer was a wet one. Rain on me once, shame on me; rain on me twice, I want to look cute
  • Colorful statement accessories...especially earrings, hats and shoes. I'm getting kinda sick of black, tans and greys, though somehow, in winter, they seem very chic
  • The perfect cardigan. A little secret about myself - I'd rather be hot than cold. Which is why I hate being caught without the right outerwear when: a> the a/c is blasting in some store that I stepped into to escape the heat, b> a cold front is moving in and I'm in line for bbq or c> the sun has set and I'm people watching at a sidewalk cafe. For several seasons, I had the perfect lightweight white cardigan, but then the ultra delicate fabric turned dingy, so now I'm in the market for a new perfect cardigan--an impossible task, but wish me luck.
What are you looking forward to this spring?

No comments: