Sunday, March 15, 2009

NYC Birthday: Daniel

City Guy took me to dinner at Daniel Boulud's four star restaurant, Daniel, on my birthday. So did you guess right? The restaurant was recently renovated and is really stunning inside. I felt a little cheezy snapping shots of my food on my birthday and at such an upscale establishment, but I did sneak in a shot of the beautiful light fixtures with my cell phone camera:
We had the six course tasting menu. We figured, hey, let's splurge - don't know when and if we'll ever be back. And boy were we stuffed by night's end. City Guy and I ordered different things so we could try everything, and I'd have to say my favorites were:
  • Maine Peekytoe Crab with really yummy hearts of palm
  • Beaufort Ravioli with peppercorn, black trumpet and ham
  • Black sea bass with syrah reduction
They showered us with desserts at the end of the meal, including a special birthday cake with a candle in it, the tasting menu desserts, fresh baked madeleines and petit fours.

All in all a really enjoyable night. How did it compare to Le Bernardin (last year's b-day spot)? Well, I'm a seafood lover, so I think I'll have to give the edge to Le Bernardin. But the ambiance at Daniel is truly stunning - one of the most lavish and romantic in the city - so what can I say? I love that we have an embarassment of riches when it comes to food in this city.

No comments: