Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On My Mind: NYC Birthday

Come to think of it, this isn't a great city for a Pisces...
Guess who's got a birthday coming up? Yes indeed. Your favorite Girl Next Door Piscean. For those of you unfamiliar with the Piscean personality, a quick search of "Pisces" on Google produces the following:
pros: creative, artistic, poet, dreamer, sympathetic, compassionate, intuitive, sensitive, selfless, kind, old soul, emotional
cons: escapist, idealistic, weak-willed, secretive, vague, daydreamer, passive, melancholic
Sound like me? Should someone fitting the above description live in NYC? You be the judge.

I don't know how much I believe in astrology. I used to read Susan Miller's Astrology Zone to give me that extra push every month (Ah! The new moon promises a financial windfall - got to be on the look out for that). But I grew disillusioned when they consistently got things wrong (No financial windfall. The wind, however, did knock me off my feet...?), but I still leave room for doubt. I got my chart done once, and it was uncannily specific and accurate.

It's No Party
Anyhow, I've always had trouble with birthdays. I think I'll know that I really feel at home in NYC when I have the guts to throw a big birthday party.

I guess I don't quite trust that my friends in the city would show up. Horrible thing to say, but people disappoint all the time, and I just don't know which of my friends in the City would drop everything to have dinner with me on my birthday. Funny thing, I had dinner with another Piscean, Book Babe, recently, and she admitted the same fear of being the birthday girl with no birthday guests. I think my nostalgia for LA is partly to do with my nostalgia for my friendships there--I had great parties then.

One Perfect Day
So, what will I do? Well, City Guy always makes it special. :) Roses, cakes, present, fancy schmancy dinner--the works. He always gets me a cake from Black Hound Bakery (my favorite, the Choc Choc Mousse Heart Cake is pictured above). This year, he's taking me to one of Frank Bruni's four star restaurants - not saying which until I blog about it after the fact, but there's only five (and he took me to Le Bernardin last year), so your odds are 1 in 4.

My birthday falls on a Tuesday, and City Guy will be at work for most of the day, so how will I spend the day? Last year, my birthday fell on a Monday - crappy day for a birthday - but I had a lovely day. I planned it all out. I wanted to relax and indulge all my senses, so I got a massage at Oasis Day Spa, treated myself to a warm chocolate chip cookie at Jacques Torres, bought myself a small gift of a fragrant Tocca candle ("Stella" was the scent) from Bigelow Chemists and ate lunch in K-town at one of my favorite down-home Korean restaurants.

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. Maybe a repeat of last year? I feel less hopeful and less solvent this year, so I don't know, but I do know this--I've got to get out of my apartment. With the snow days and the freezing temperatures, you know I've been hunkered down a lot lately.

Birthday Wish
In any case, dear reader, you can make one of my birthday wishes come true by leaving a birthday wish or a simple "hey hey hey" for me on the comments thread for this post. I hardly ever get comments--is that because I'm writing this blog anonymously? Or some other reason--so that would really make my day. If I don't get any comments, I'll know a> no one read this post, b> everyone who reads my blog is shy or c> it's a good thing I didn't throw that party.

10 comments:

Alison said...

happy birthday!! i hope you have a wonderful day filled with lots of love and goodies!

Chris said...

Happy birthday baby!

provided by, Jennifer S.Fortune said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!! I pray this year showers you with tremendous blessings and wonderful surprises :) Breath deeply and savor each moment that you have... you are a beautiful inspiration and wonderful creative spirit... I'm so glad to be apart of your blogworld :)

Anonymous said...

happy Birthday! My birthday is in March too. and on a MONDAY... have fun!!

Denise said...

Happy Birthday!!

Suzee said...

Happy Birthday. I understand your birthday party concerns. I recently moved to Manhattan as well, and I feel quite confident my birthday party would be very small :) You could start by just inviting a few people over for cocktails...

Suzee said...

Happy Birthday! Rather than a big blown up party, perhaps a few people for cocktails???

The Girl Next Door said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, ya'll! It's nice to know there are people who care.

Miss Fashion said...

Hey Cutie!! Happy Birthday!!! I think everyone would love come to your birthday party! :) Hey!! Let's celebrate your special day with a delicious glutton-fest of yummy Korean food in Flushing!! Hee Hee! ;)

whatevs said...

happy birthday!

love your blog!