Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On My Mind: NYC Birthday

Come to think of it, this isn't a great city for a Pisces...
Guess who's got a birthday coming up? Yes indeed. Your favorite Girl Next Door Piscean. For those of you unfamiliar with the Piscean personality, a quick search of "Pisces" on Google produces the following:
pros: creative, artistic, poet, dreamer, sympathetic, compassionate, intuitive, sensitive, selfless, kind, old soul, emotional
cons: escapist, idealistic, weak-willed, secretive, vague, daydreamer, passive, melancholic
Sound like me? Should someone fitting the above description live in NYC? You be the judge.

I don't know how much I believe in astrology. I used to read Susan Miller's Astrology Zone to give me that extra push every month (Ah! The new moon promises a financial windfall - got to be on the look out for that). But I grew disillusioned when they consistently got things wrong (No financial windfall. The wind, however, did knock me off my feet...?), but I still leave room for doubt. I got my chart done once, and it was uncannily specific and accurate.

It's No Party
Anyhow, I've always had trouble with birthdays. I think I'll know that I really feel at home in NYC when I have the guts to throw a big birthday party.

I guess I don't quite trust that my friends in the city would show up. Horrible thing to say, but people disappoint all the time, and I just don't know which of my friends in the City would drop everything to have dinner with me on my birthday. Funny thing, I had dinner with another Piscean, Book Babe, recently, and she admitted the same fear of being the birthday girl with no birthday guests. I think my nostalgia for LA is partly to do with my nostalgia for my friendships there--I had great parties then.

One Perfect Day
So, what will I do? Well, City Guy always makes it special. :) Roses, cakes, present, fancy schmancy dinner--the works. He always gets me a cake from Black Hound Bakery (my favorite, the Choc Choc Mousse Heart Cake is pictured above). This year, he's taking me to one of Frank Bruni's four star restaurants - not saying which until I blog about it after the fact, but there's only five (and he took me to Le Bernardin last year), so your odds are 1 in 4.

My birthday falls on a Tuesday, and City Guy will be at work for most of the day, so how will I spend the day? Last year, my birthday fell on a Monday - crappy day for a birthday - but I had a lovely day. I planned it all out. I wanted to relax and indulge all my senses, so I got a massage at Oasis Day Spa, treated myself to a warm chocolate chip cookie at Jacques Torres, bought myself a small gift of a fragrant Tocca candle ("Stella" was the scent) from Bigelow Chemists and ate lunch in K-town at one of my favorite down-home Korean restaurants.

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. Maybe a repeat of last year? I feel less hopeful and less solvent this year, so I don't know, but I do know this--I've got to get out of my apartment. With the snow days and the freezing temperatures, you know I've been hunkered down a lot lately.

Birthday Wish
In any case, dear reader, you can make one of my birthday wishes come true by leaving a birthday wish or a simple "hey hey hey" for me on the comments thread for this post. I hardly ever get comments--is that because I'm writing this blog anonymously? Or some other reason--so that would really make my day. If I don't get any comments, I'll know a> no one read this post, b> everyone who reads my blog is shy or c> it's a good thing I didn't throw that party.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!! i hope you have a wonderful day filled with lots of love and goodies!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday baby!

provided by, Jennifer S.Fortune said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!! I pray this year showers you with tremendous blessings and wonderful surprises :) Breath deeply and savor each moment that you have... you are a beautiful inspiration and wonderful creative spirit... I'm so glad to be apart of your blogworld :)

Anonymous said...

happy Birthday! My birthday is in March too. and on a MONDAY... have fun!!

Denise Rosier said...

Happy Birthday!!

LaFleur said...

Happy Birthday. I understand your birthday party concerns. I recently moved to Manhattan as well, and I feel quite confident my birthday party would be very small :) You could start by just inviting a few people over for cocktails...

LaFleur said...

Happy Birthday! Rather than a big blown up party, perhaps a few people for cocktails???

The Girl Next Door said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, ya'll! It's nice to know there are people who care.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cutie!! Happy Birthday!!! I think everyone would love come to your birthday party! :) Hey!! Let's celebrate your special day with a delicious glutton-fest of yummy Korean food in Flushing!! Hee Hee! ;)

whatevs said...

happy birthday!

love your blog!