Sunday, December 21, 2008

Things I Love About New York: Darn Cute Public Art

Last Saturday, I was running errands in midtown when I was stopped in my tracks by giant Sanrio characters (and Miffy, who apparently isn't a Sanrio character) in the form of bronze sculptures painted white by Tom Sachs.

The artist's site explains:
Working from the original toys, Sachs and his assistants construct enlarged versions using sheets of lightweight foamcore and glue guns, which are then cast in bronze, and ironically painted white to resemble the white foamcore surface. “Hello Kitty” and “Miffy” also function as outdoor fountains.
Here's My Melody...
Hello Kitty...
Hello Kitty again...
...and Miffy the Rabbit.
They really are a sight to behold. If you want to experience their grand innocence yourself, head to the Lever House plaza at 54th and Park.

1 comment:

provided by, Jennifer S.Fortune said...

Toooo cute! glad to see you got caught up on all your blogging... i have a lot to read!