Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas In NYC: Stalking the Tree Lightings

Watched both the Bryant Park and Rock Center holiday tree lightings on TV, which was good enough for me, at least this year. I'll have to go one year when I'm feeling strong enough to stand out in the 40-degree cold for 3-4 hours, which is what I'm sure you have to do to get a spot in the crowd with a sight line. Bryant Park does it right - they lit their tree first and then cued up the entertainment. I just felt sorry for the folks at Rock Center - not only did they probably get there a couple hours early to find a good spot, they had to wait 2 more hours for Harry Connick, Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers to entertain before the tree got lit. Since I'm not a 14-yo girl, that would have tried my patience.

There's another tree lighting happening today, however, in front of the Stock Exchange on Wall Street. Since it's just up the street from me, and it's not as "big" an event as the others, maybe I'll muster up the strength...here's the info:
The New York Stock Exchange will hold its 85th annual Christmas tree lighting on Broad Street between Wall Street and Exchange Place. Activities will begin at approx 3:15 p.m. A tradition since 1923, the NYSE’s tree lighting is believed to be the city’s oldest. Lighting this year’s NYSE tree will be the "Queen of Soul" Aretha Franklin. Ms. Franklin will perform two songs from her newly released, first ever holiday album, “This Christmas Aretha”. Also performing at this year’s tree lighting is Victoria Cuomo, Brendan James, the Monsignor Donovan Choir, Push Play, Tiffany Giardina, Gavin DeGraw, and the stars of the Broadway musical White Christmas.
It's Aretha Franklin, for Christmas sake! Miley Cyrus, eat your heart out.

No comments: