Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happenings: First Big Snowstorm Of The Season

As a refugee from warmer climates, I have a love-hate relationship with snow. I'm still fascinated by the first snow of the season. I love the way the city looks blanketed in white, especially when I'm looking out from the warmth of my apartment. The city always feels quieter, calmer, slowed to a comfortable pace.

The part I hate is what comes afterward: the treacherous black ice left on the sidewalks and roads, the freezing temperatures, and the mess. Friday was pretty miserable -- snow, then freezing rain--the worst combination. And Saturday was so cold my toes felt like they were frostbitten after a short walk outside. Today was a little better, but I hear the wind chill's in the negatives tonight. I'm not going out to verify. But we survived. At least the roads are clear. And I've been through worse. I guess I'm closer to being a true New Yorker, now that I can say that.

Here are some pictures I took walking around the Financial District on Friday, after the storm.

The stock exchange:Stone Street:
Hanover Square:
Trinity Church:
Foot bridge at Rector St:

No comments: