Saturday, September 13, 2008

Great Find: Gotham Magazine

I have no idea why I get Gotham Magazine mailed to me every month. I don't recall subscribing (it's $70 a year!), but I have noticed a lot of Gotham Magazines in our mail room, so maybe it's a zip code thing--is 10006 a posh zip? It's certainly no 10013 (Tribeca) which Gotham Magazine spotlight's this month in it's Cracking the Code column, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Anyhow, in the past, I flipped through the many pages of society photos and quickly threw the magazine into the recycling bin, but today, for some reason, something clicked. I devoured this month's issue from cover-to-cover in one sitting.

Here are some highlights:
  • the annual Gotham 100 best dressed list--filled with fashion editors, society moms, actors, music moguls, and designers
  • interviews with Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl gives me the same fashion-candy high that Sex and the City once did--love that show!) and Rachel Zoe, whose new reality show I love
  • some cool NY people & places that were new to me: Eleanor Ylvisaker of Ernest Sewn (jeans), R&Y Augousti (home design & handbags), Archivia Books (art books), Argosy Books (rare books), Hudson River Park tennis courts, Ililii (Mediterranean restaurant) and Jeffrey NY (according to NY Mag, a cooler version of Bergdorf's)
  • comparison chart of the best in NYC chocolate: Chocolate Bar, Cafe Charbonnel, Jacques Torres, La Maison du Chocolat and another article on the benefits of chocolate with high cocoa content (look for cocoa from Columbia, Ecuador, & Venezuela)
  • events to take note of: Bicycle for a Day is September 20, the new Museum of Arts & Design at Columbus Circle is opening September 27, and Japan C, an 11-week exhibition of all things Japanese is ongoing
And I'm just sharing half the things I jotted down for future reference! Has the editorial gotten better? Or is it just the Fall Fashion issue? We'll see what's October's issue looks like, but this one was a real pleasure to read. Life in NYC seems so much cooler when you're seeing it through the eyes of the Gotham editors.

No comments: