Sunday, August 31, 2008

Great Find: Colony Music Center

Earlier this week, I was looking for a place where I could buy piano books in the City (having recently resumed playing the piano) and remembered passing an old music store in mid-town with a bunch of sheet music in the window: Colony Music.

The store bills itself as the largest karaoke and sheet music store in the world, so I was a bit surprised it was only one floor, but what a fun place. Like stepping back in time. All the sheet music you can find--I certainly found what I came for (walked out with four books). But what I love about the store is the old school feeling. Nothing's slick or corporate about this place, not even the laconic musicians who work here. It also sells movie posters, records, and rock-n-roll & TV memorabilia, like these TV guides, which I found in the Rock Collectibles section in the back... ...and these old TV show & rock star trading cards, which can be found at the register:
My only question is how old is that gum?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, keep it up!

The Girl Next Door said...

Thanks! :)